Already have an account? Go directly to https://stoningtonfree.kanopy.com/
What is Kanopy?
Kanopy is a video streaming service made available to you by your library. With it, you can stream from a collection of over 30,000 independent and documentary films, including videos from The Criterion Collection, The Great Courses, Media Education Foundation, and more. Kanopy’s collection focuses on titles offering social, cultural, and educational value. You can view available titles and stream by visiting the Kanopy website on your PC, or by downloading the Kanopy app to your Android mobile device, iOS mobile device, or Amazon Fire Tablet. Kanopy can also be streamed through your Roku, Apple TV, or Chromecast.
How do I create an account?
- Click here to create an account on Kanopy, or open your Kanopy app and select ‘Get Started’. The first time you use the service you will be required to sign-up with your email address and will also need to enter your Stonington Free Library card number and PIN
- Click “Find your library” and look for the Stonington Free Library.
- Select Stonington Free Library from the dropdown list
- Click “Add library card” and enter your library card number and PIN and click Continue
- To create an account, fill in the requested fields on the form or use your existing Facebook or Google account info if you prefer by clicking on the appropriate social login button and following the prompts.
- After signing up, you will be sent a verification email which will come from email@example.com. Click “Verify My Email” to continue your account set up. Note: If you are not seeing this email in your inbox or spam, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so they can assist you.
If you need assistance with this process, please contact Stonington Free Library and we will do our best to help!
Other questions you may have about your Kanopy account…
How does streaming work?
Streaming videos allows you to watch a video without downloading the whole file. It requires a stable internet connection while you watch.
How many videos can I watch?
Your Stonington Free Library account offers 5 ‘play credits’ per month, enabling you to play up to 5 titles per month. Kanopy Kids and The Great Courses do not use credits to watch.
How long do I have to watch the videos?
You have 72 hours from the moment you select ‘Play’. The video will stop streaming when the 72 hours is up, so you will have to use another credit to keep watching if you did not finish.
How long do I have to watch Kanopy Kids and The Great Courses?
With Kanopy Kids and The Great Courses you do not use credits to view the videos and you get to watch them for longer. After hitting play on any content in Kanopy Kids, you have 30 days of unlimited access to all of the content available in Kids. Once you hit play on a title from any Great Courses series, the entire course is unlocked. You have 30 days to finish the course.
Want more information?
You can always visit the Kanopy help page directly for more information and instruction.